Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Sound proofing:




Since we've torn open the entire ceiling, the sound travels nearly perfectly between basement and our living room. When I'm working down there I can hear everything my kids say and do, and can almost pay attention to the TV. Yikes. One of the goals I had in doing all this was to create much more of a sound barrier between that basement apartment and the rest of the home. So, here's the process:




First, after the electrical went in, all the ceiling cavities and wall cavities were filled with R-19 insulation. Just the pink stuff. Then, the crew is putting on Sound Board over all of it. It looks like a brown, fiberous stuff, about an inch thick, but lighter than sheet rock. Underneath that will hang the RC channels, which have the job of separating the sheet rock (when hung) from the joists. They don't allow noise to travel through the wood floor structure. Perhaps when this is done I won't have to yell at my children to stop making so much noise all the time.


Don't I wish......